Dancers against Cancer is raising funds to donate to the American Cancer Society by selling T-shirts that promote the fight against cancer. Shirts are $20. The deadline to order a shirt is June 14. Visit booster.com/dancersagainstcancer2014.
Walkway of Honor bricks
Orders are being taken for veterans engraved bricks to be added to the Garner Veterans Memorial Walkway of Honor during 2014. Order forms may be found at GarnerVeteransMemorial.org, or by calling 919-455-8278. Orders must be placed by June 15.
Local author Leanora Moore will host a book signing from 4 to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at 1510 Harth Drive, Garner. She will be discussing her newest release, Drafted For Love.
The Town of Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department is seeking volunteers for the towns annual Independence Day celebration Thursday, July 3, at Lake Benson Park, 921 Buffaloe Road. Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist town staff in a number of ways, including helping with kids crafts, bingo and participating in setup and cleanup work.
Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. They may be asked to work shifts of two to four hours. Volunteers will receive a T-shirt, one meal and a parking pass for Lake Benson Park (based on availability).
Registration deadline is June 20. To get involved, contact Jill McAllister at 919-661-4602 or by email at email@example.com.
Cub Scout events
Cub Scout Pack 392 will hold events open to rising first through fifth grade boys, free of charge. RSVP for any of these events at ocpack392.org or call 919-669-1356.
• Flag Football: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 12, at Lake Benson Park.
• Board Game Night: 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Geo-Caching: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, August 9, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Rain Gutter Regatta: 7 p.m. Tuesday, August 26, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
Classes at JCC
Johnston Community College offers human resources and workforce development classes at the main campus in Smithfield at 245 College Road, Smithfield, and the Workforce Development Center at 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 10: Excel I. This basic course in Microsoft Excel will cost $71 including tech fee in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 30: Is Your Retail Business Ready for E-tail? will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 14: Instant E-Commerce Options with Storefronts will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 21: Online Fundraising Options for Non-Profits will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 4: Niche E-Commerce will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 11: Overhauling Your Existing E-Commerce Site will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, May 27-28: Microsoft Excel 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, June 24-25: Microsoft Outlook 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• A notary public class will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19 in the Benson Conference Center and August 15 in the Workforce Development Center. $70 registration plus book.
Cans for a Cure
Vandora Springs Elementary will host the Cans for a Cure aluminum can recycling project throughout the summer months at 1300 Vandora Springs Road, Garner. Everyone is invited to recycle aluminum cans at the school in the blue recycling dumpster. All proceeds will benefit the Relay for Life of Garner. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Square dancing lessons
Square dancing lessons are held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Friday night at Saint Andrews United Methodist Church, 1201 Maxwell Drive, Raleigh. Casual dress, $20 per person per month. Call 919-266-0845 or visit www.GarnerSquareDance.org.
Events at Southeast Regional Library
Southeast Regional Library, 908 Seventh Ave., Garner, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-662-2250.
June 1 through July 31: Spark a Reaction is this years summer reading program. Children in grades 5 and under will receive bags and reading logs at the local library, and can receive a Weekly Wow when they check out three or more books. Prizes include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items. Teens and adults will be entered into the program and can win gift certificates to restaurants, sporting events, salons and stores in weekly drawings. A grand prize drawing Aug. 1 will give away a Google Nexus Tablet and an e-reader for adult winners, and an e-reader for teen winners.
6:30 to 8:30 Thursday, June 12: Introduction to Entrepreneurship will teach participants critical first steps toward entrepreneurship.
6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, July 31: Learn the legal aspects of starting a business from SCORE of Raleigh.
A food pantry is open from 9 a.m. to noon on the second Saturday of each month at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. The food is free to anyone presenting an ID card. For more information, call 919-934-0213.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
• Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote childrens academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.
Send announcements at least two weeks before the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.