Cub Scout events
Cub Scout Pack 392 will hold events open to rising first through fifth grade boys, free of charge. RSVP for any of these events at ocpack392.org or call 919-669-1356.
• Flag Football: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 12, at Lake Benson Park.
• Board Game Night: 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Geo-Caching: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, August 9, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Rain Gutter Regatta: 7 p.m. Tuesday, August 26, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
Clayton Youth Theater events
• CYT will perform Elton John and Tim Rice’s “AIDA” at 7:30 p.m. July 25-26, 31 and August 1-2 at The Clayton Center, 111 E. 2nd St., Clayton. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students 18 and under. Call 919-553-1737 or visit TheClaytonCenter.com for tickets.
• CYT will partner with the Historic Wagner house to offer a “Dinner & a Show” fundraiser Thursday, July 31, in downtown Clayton. Enjoy a dinner at Wagner House at 5:30 p.m., then walk across the street to The Clayton Center to see CYT’s “AIDA” at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $35 for adults and $20 for students 18 and under. Call 919-553-1737 for tickets. Wagner House will donate a portion of its proceeds to CYT.
Classes at JCC
Johnston Community College offers human resources and workforce development classes at the main campus in Smithfield at 245 College Road, Smithfield, and the Workforce Development Center at 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 14: Instant E-Commerce Options with Storefronts will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 21: Online Fundraising Options for Non-Profits will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 4: Niche E-Commerce will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 11: Overhauling Your Existing E-Commerce Site will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, May 27-28: Microsoft Excel 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, June 24-25: Microsoft Outlook 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• A notary public class will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19 in the Benson Conference Center and August 15 in the Workforce Development Center. $70 registration plus book.
Connect and plug in
The Garner Chamber of Commerce will hold “Connect & Plug In the Future” from noon to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, August 14, at The Grand Marquise Ballroom, 225 new Fidelity Court, Garner. The half-day conference will focus on major developments impacting the town’s economic climate and quality of life. Registration and lunch will take place at noon, with conference sessions running from 1 to 5 p.m. and reception and dinner from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Registration for the full conference is $79, reception and dinner only is $35. Visit business.garnerchamber.com for more information.
Cans for a Cure
Vandora Springs Elementary will host the Cans for a Cure aluminum can recycling project throughout the summer months at 1300 Vandora Springs Road, Garner. Everyone is invited to recycle aluminum cans at the school in the blue recycling dumpster. All proceeds will benefit the Relay for Life of Garner. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Square dancing lessons
Square dancing lessons are held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Friday night at Saint Andrews United Methodist Church, 1201 Maxwell Drive, Raleigh. Casual dress, $20 per person per month. Call 919-266-0845 or visit www.GarnerSquareDance.org.
Events at Southeast Regional Library
Southeast Regional Library, 908 Seventh Ave., Garner, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-662-2250.
Through July 31: Spark a Reaction is this year’s summer reading program. Children in grades 5 and under will receive bags and reading logs at the local library, and can receive a “Weekly Wow” when they check out three or more books. Prizes include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items. Teens and adults will be entered into the program and can win gift certificates to restaurants, sporting events, salons and stores in weekly drawings. A grand prize drawing Aug. 1 will give away a Google Nexus Tablet and an e-reader for adult winners, and an e-reader for teen winners.
7 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, July 16: Introduction to Cloud Computing will teach about a free service that allows you to store, edit and access your computer files from any device with an internet connection.
2 p.m. Sunday, July 20: Meet mystery authors Brynn Bonner, Maragaret Maron and Sarah Shaber in “Meet the Mystery Author.”
6:30 p.m. Monday, July 21: Meet the Artisan: Woodturners will allow participants to meet Norm Cloutier of the Woodturners Guild of N.C. as he discusses the art of wood turning and displays examples of his work.
6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, July 31: Learn the legal aspects of starting a business from SCORE of Raleigh.
A food pantry is open from 9 a.m. to noon on the second Saturday of each month at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. The food is free to anyone presenting an ID card. For more information, call 919-934-0213.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
• Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.
Send announcements at least two weeks before the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.